Friday, November 1, 2013

Telling your hardest stories

The hardest memoir pieces to write are those that make you feel vulnerable, "out there," naked. They are also the best, the most interesting. Just think about the stories you've heard that get your attention, that hold you right there until the story is finished. Many of them, I want to say most of them, take a risk, take a chance on telling something that has never been told before, because it so personal that we've kept them under wraps for years, maybe most of our lives. If we're married, we may not even have told a spouse. If we have close friends, we may never have taken the risk of telling that story.

Bette Bao Lord, a Chinese woman who married an American, returned to China with him when he became United States Ambassador to China. She has written several books on the Chinese, Chinese culture, Chinese ways from an insider's point of view. In her book, Legacies: A Chinese Mosaic, she writes a short chapter on the masks that the Chinese wear. Now she is writing this at a time when the Communist regime wielded a much heavier hand and when it was simply not safe to let anyone know anything personal. Consequently, she wrote, the Chinese wore masks--not real masks, metaphorical masks. They'd put on a "happy face" or a "serious face" or a "sober face" depending on what the occasion required. Never did they disclose themselves. She writes that the Chinese developed so many masks that if you were to peel them off, like peeling an onion, you would find nothing at the core. The masks had replaced the Self.

We wear masks too. Dozens of them. We have church masks, when we put on our best clothes, smile, shake hands, say, "Oh how are you?" (Don't tell me, I don't want to know) or "Do you need any help?" (I'm too busy to help you, and I wouldn't if I could) or "I just love you soooo much." (You dork). Often, of course, we are sincere. But if you are in a foul mood, you may just put on those masks to hide yourself from the people around you. Put on a mask. The same goes for work, for play, for parties with friends. We have literally dozens of masks. We have make-up masks--put on those eyelashes, that lipstick, that after shave. We have funeral masks, "Oh, I'm so sorry." (I'm not really). I'm not suggesting we are always a lying bunch of insincere people, but we all know when our mask is "masking" what's really underneath.

And it doesn't feel safe to tell other people how we're really feeling. Trust comes slowly. When can you trust someone? Who can you tell the real truth about yourself? Who will listen sincerely?

Today, try writing about one of your masks, one of your secrets that almost no one--maybe no one at all--knows about. A little secret life that you've covered for years and years, maybe most of your life. A moment so humiliating, possibly, that you can barely allow yourself to think about it.

You might want to try this as a rush write, just to get the ugly truth (we all have ugly truths, don't we) out on the table. Square off with it--in writing--you can put it away in a locked drawer after that. But you'll be surprised how cathartic it feels to face that monster.

Just take a piece of paper, sit down, take a deep breath, and write. Remember, you don't have to show it to anyone. But you can at least hit it head on yourself.

8 comments:

  1. Can't wait to give this a go. Recent events in the last half year are begging for a good sit down writing. Now the debate: face old, vulnerable places or start with new ones which are surely influenced by the past? The timer has a way of deciding for me.
    Thank you, Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So revealing! Emotional. What does it all mean in the end? Will everything be okay in the end? Tears. Sad. Scary. A greater gain, but what a loss! Are you done healing when you don't cry about it any more?
    Just my experience over here. Still very fresh. A rush writing in a comment.
    Thank you. Accountability is critical. What just happened? I'm even scared to publish this comment. Will more of you respond, too? I hope so. I feel like hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These rush writes can tap your unconscious, as I said, deeply felt emotions that one thought had been forgotten. I don't know when one is healed. in my own case, the healing has not been as important as the understanding. I did not understand WHY I was reacting in certain ways, saying certain things. Once I discovered it's roots, I could choose to behave differently. I feel for you, Sarah, but this will be cathartic. You will be a different person if you continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first sentence of this post yesterday and decided not to read the rest of it. Not the right day for vulnerability. I found five minutes this afternoon to write my second effort, and finally read this post just now. It's something for tomorrow, I hope. I want to continue to be a different person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing can be great therapy.

    I've written in journals for years and have no trouble writing about my own problems, but in the past I haven't wanted to create conflict or pain for fictional characters. It's almost impossible, but I also try not to imagine worst-case scenarios in real life. I've heard Brené Brown call it "foreboding joy" when we can't let ourselves fully enjoy a moment because we are busy imagining the bad thing that might happen next. Brené says gratitude is the antidote. If we can let ourselves feel grateful those kinds of fears dim. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I'm hoping if I can somehow feel grateful I might be willing to create conflict and pain for fictional characters.

    Maybe I just need therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deborah. I'm not going to tackle fiction writing in this blog, because I'm not a fiction writer. I can tell you, from many years of living with a fiction writer, that tension and conflict are the stuff of fiction writing. One example: Louise was writing a novel, later called Finding Daddy, in which at least one character "had" to die. She asked her fiction writing class, "Who is the one character you love and don't want to die in this novel?" They all voted not to kill the grandmother. Of course she killed off the grandmother. But I have to stop now, because I'm getting in over my head.

      Delete
    2. I felt the most upset when the dog died! That was horrific.

      Delete