Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What is work work work?



Driving the 40 minutes home from the university tonight, my mind drifted to the subject of work. This came about, because of a discussion about work in church. I don't know what happens in church in New York or Paris, but in Utah, when the subject comes up, the conversation inevitably turns to physical labor. Work is physical. The only valued kind of work is physical. If you're not busting your back, you're not doing enough. As the hymn used to read, before they changed it, "The world has no need for a drone." Maybe someone finally pointed out the value of drones in the hive.

So we get stories about work. From the book blurb on Deseret Book's site, "There are two kinds of people in this world, those who choose to act and those who are acted upon. In 1856 John Rowe Moyle and his family chose to act by leaving their beloved England, crossing the plains with the Ellsworth handcart company to eventually settle in Alpine, Utah. Soon after their arrival John Moyle was called by Brigham Young to work as a stone mason on the Salt Lake Temple. For 20 years he walked the 22 miles to Salt Lake City to chisel his deepest convictions into granite. Even after an accident causes him to lose his leg, John continued his sojourn to the temple site each week until his death."

In my mind the story teller has the intention of inflicting pain on the listeners, to convince them that no matter what they do, they'll never do enough. We should follow that man's example, and since we can't do enough, we'll be weighed in the balance and found wanting. It's a poisonous story for those of us who decide to do other kinds of work.

Work often comes up in the context of faith and works. More discussions than I care to count bring up the fable of the man who has two oars on his boat. One oar has "faith" engraved on it, the other "works." The discussion then leads to the notion that faith without works is dead. The reverse has, to my memory, never been discussed. Faith gets short shrift.

A friend, who lives in a very nice neighborhood, had her son out mowing the lawn. A neighbor asked her why she was making her son mow the lawn. "He needs to learn to work," she said.

"Do you want him to mow lawns his whole life? Why don't you have him taking classes, going to summer camps to learn useful work, professional work, not hard labor?"

Good question, I say. I grew up with bi-polar attitudes about work. My parents had an acre of land in Salt Lake City with a small stream running through. That piece of land was labor intensive. A third of it was garden, irrigated from the stream. Raspberries, strawberries, corn, potatoes, cucumbers, all the healthy food imaginable. I spent part or all of every day in the summer working alone or with one or both parents on that place. Tilling the garden, shoveling the weeds off the dirt road out to the main road. Spreading manure. Picking berries. And, of course, mowing the very hilly lawn that made up another third of the property. In winter it was shoveling the several hundred feet of snow from the walks surrounding the property.

Sleeping in on a Saturday morning was not an option. My four foot eight, 90 pound mother would be trying to start the lawn mower by the window, which was directly over my bed in the basement. I always managed to ignore this until my grandmother, who was living with us, would start calling down the stairs. "Tom, are you going to let your little mother mow that lawn?"

When mother passed away, the question arose whether I wanted to buy the house and property. My answer was firm and final: No. That place sucked the life out of vacations, lazy summer days, or any form of recreation. No. I'd spent enough of my youth out there, thank you very much. I had seen what it took to manage a property like that, and I wanted no more of it.

Now work for me is trying to paint a picture, write a blog, or teach a class. Thinking is work. Creating is work. Or is it? Is it enough, or should I still be out in the garden working to store food for the year's supply like a squirrel with its cheeks full of nuts? I want to hear from any of you with experience in this matter. What is work to you? What was work to you? I know some of you have feelings about this. I'm not going to say your name, but let's get this discussion going.

12 comments:

  1. I am a housewife but I still feel I work, and get annoyed when people ask me when I am going to get a real job as I feel like all the stuff I do to have a smooth running house is a very real job. This week actually I have been sick and my husband has been doing all the things I normally do and he is agreeing that I do tons of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I might have added that some believe if you aren't earning money, you re not doing work. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I sometimes feel as though my creative line of work isn't really work. I don't want to sound spoiled and ungrateful, but sometimes I get anxious and feel like I don't do something worth while - shouldn't we WORK to be alive? I often feel like a lot of my generation has nothing worth fighting for, sometimes I don't even feel alive, everything is so easy, I feel like a machine. I don't even know how half the food I eat is made or where it comes from. When I had work which was physically harder, and closer connected to "survival", being out and about - I think I felt more at peace and it felt more natural.

    But each our own, I know I am not speaking on behalf of everybody :)

    I love your blog by the way, and your wife's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some ideas in response to this blog:
    1) whoever coined the phrase "work like a dog" did not know our dog
    2) thinking is work but our culture doesn't think so
    3) paid work has more value and volunteer work is up there near sainthood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the dog comment. My mother used to say, "We work like Trojans." Since growing older, I've never been able to decipher what that meant. The Trojans fell for the horse. It might have been better to say, "We think like Greeks." Or maybe not.

      Delete
    2. Clarification: I don't think paid work has more value but our society seems to think so.

      Delete
  4. The mother who said she needed to teach her son to work certainly didn't want her son to mow lawns, but she did want to teach him that sometimes we need to do things that we don't want to do - that is work. Precious few are able to do what they love for work, the rest of us have to learn to power through and appreciate a job well done, no matter if it is a nicely mown lawn, a clean bathroom or a clear report turned into the boss.
    I grew up in a situation similar to Tom, while I too would probably turn down the opportunity to own that land, I do have appreciation for the soul-cleansing feeling when looking, sweaty, at freshly weeded garden bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one garden I have loved was at our seaside home in Nove Scotia. No, we don't have it now. The sea was encroaching. However, it had wonderful perennials and a little side garden. It was very satisfying, and I'm glad I did know how to handle a hoe and shovel.

      Delete
  5. I would much prefer manual work than my current desk job. You see tangible progress. You're physically tired at the end of the day. It's satisfying to me, but my husband is the opposite. He's of the "work smart, not hard" mentality, like you. I'm the one being emotionally manipulated by stories like John Moyle's. It's a personality thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "In my mind the story teller has the intention of inflicting pain on the listeners, to convince them that no matter what they do, they'll never do enough. We should follow that man's example, and since we can't do enough, we'll be weighed in the balance and found wanting. It's a poisonous story for those of us who decide to do other kinds of work."

    I will love you forever for writing this. Would you like to come to my ward's Gospel Doctrine class? I would like you to. How about Relief Society? We probably need you even more in our Relief Society.

    Now, where do I begin? For 20 years I have been a mother, mostly at home. I had brief stints with graduate school (M.A. in comparative literature) and part-time, work-from-home jobs, but mostly I have been a mother. Four years ago my youngest child went to kindergarten and I went back to school to study accounting because I felt overqualified to do the laundry. Presently I take two classes, work two part-time jobs and still have four children at home (and still do the laundry). I am a jack of all trades, I think. I would have gone crazy faced with all the projects in my house by myself, with no children around to excuse me from getting them done, or to do them with me. My children are the reason I opted out of a career path to begin with. So now the projects don't get done, but I find satisfaction in being in the community of a classroom, learning and earning good grades. I hadn't planned to work until I finish my degree, but opportunities arose. My meager grading job turned into a reference for a bookkeeping job at a small company that also uses my accounting knowledge. It turns out that writing skills developed in the liberal arts can be readily applied helping an accounting PhD student get her dissertation into readable form. I like my work at the company 9 hours per work. I would probably still like it at 20 hours per week, but I don't think I would like it at 40 hours per week. I like the feeling of being uniquely suited to help this PhD student (and getting paid quite well by the department to do it), but I would not want to spend more than 4 hours per week immersed in bad writing about deferred tax assets. I have even always liked doing the laundry (but don't tell my children that). I enjoy the somewhat physical labor of home keeping and gardening, but my interest lags before the jobs do. It's too Sisyphean. I need the work of the mind. School and work have been good for me. Still, I miss writing and reading as much as I used to. (I don't count accounting text books and histories of financial crises as reading.)

    I think we could get along quite well in this world without anyone thinking s/he knows what work anyone else should be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suspect you learned a great many things on that childhood acre of labor. I am always fascinated at what well-rounded knowledge my husband has, having grown up on a farm/ranch, and gone to a one-room schoolhouse.

    There cannot be a set-in-stone rule about work, or about raising children to embrace physical or mental labor over the other. We parents think we know what is best for our offspring, but really: the offspring will sway, like a willow tree, to which ever way feels right for them. We raised our brood on fifteen acres, gave each kid a garden plot to do with as they wished. Horses came into the picture, too - but the rule of the land was "no parental toil" with the equine: the three kids fed twice-daily, mucked, groomed and hacked by themselves. Manual labor worked for our family. Our three have college degrees, or graduate degrees, and support themselves.

    As for my family? My Dad is a sculptor. He works every day. Artists, writers, stay-at-home parents...it's all work, none better or worse than the other. The key is satisfaction and ability to thrive - both economically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did learn a great deal on that acre about work. And my parents, having both grown up on farms, found value in my learning some things. I think giving each of your offspring a garden plot to do with as they wished is pure genius. They owned their work.

      Delete