Thursday, November 21, 2013

Louise's Nude

Years ago, while we were living as students in Cambridge, Louise and her friend, Judy Pugh, were taking a painting class. On the last day of class, the students were to paint a live nude. I cannot pretend to tell Louise's story about painting this nude. She may tell it in her own blog. In brief, Louise and Judy came a little late on this last class, and everyone had already set up their easels around the nude seated in the circle. Only one space was left, and Louise discovered why that space was available, when she set her easel into the circle. She was looking directly into the eyes of the nude, with her ample bosom, which Louise swears she rendered accurately. At some point, Louise and Judy, two twenty-somethings, became hysterical and found themselves in the hall laughing so hard they peed their parts.

My piece of this story, however is my diligence in preserving this magnificent work. After class that night, Louise came back to our apartment laughing, howling, and determined to trash her nude. I quickly spirited it away, knowing that this may well be our first family heirloom, even if it had to live in a box for later generations to discover and enjoy--so to speak.  I have protected it from harm and destruction through every one of hour 20 or so moves, making sure that the box it was in was labeled, not too clearly, so that Louise would throw it in a dumpster--for someone else to treasure.

Last night was art class, and I knew it was time for the nude to see the light of day after more than forty years. It was in a box of paintings in our garage, which I had clearly marked. Judy, as it turns out, is also in the art class. I wrote her to ask if she'd be there. She wrote back and said yes, she would be in class. I wrote her again to say that I was bringing a "special friend," whom, I'm sure she would enjoy seeing again. Before art class, I sneaked the masterwork into the trunk of the car, and put some of my other art bags on top, very carefully, I must add.

And off to class we went. There were two accidents on the freeway, and at some point Louise suggested we just turn around and go home. No, we would be late, but we would not miss class. It was raining when we arrived. Louise was anxious to get inside, and I let her out at the door. Now quite over burdened with my four bags (yes, I need to consolidate) and her painting, I headed for the house where we meet each week for class.

I set Louise's nude down outside the room and set my own stuff down at my usual place. Judy was looking at me with anticipation, wondering who this friend was. I stepped out, grabbed the painting, held it high for all to see--Irwin, Shep, Marian (the teacher), and Louise and Judy. The reaction was just as I hoped. Judy broke into hysterical laugher, Louise, her face in total shock and disbelief, began yelling things like, "Where did you get that?"  It was a happy moment.

And Judy took pictures with her cell phone.





5 comments:

  1. You master happy moments. Louise's rendition looks accurate for any woman who has felt gravity and suckling babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the joy you two find in each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful! I hope now she permanently gets to come out of hiding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bawdy, raucous glee on her face is worth every second of preservation.

    ReplyDelete