Thursday, October 31, 2013

Let's do another rush write. Isn't it fun?

Well, yesterday was more than I could possibly have hoped for. Way to go, everyone. So lovely to have a group of new friends. Do we need a way to post our work? I'm trying to figure out how to do that. Or do you want to keep it under wraps--at least for a while?

You may already have ideas from your first rush write. If so, turn them into new rush writes. Go with your gut feelings. Trust your intuition.

If you're struggling for an idea, write about another first. A first injury, a first kiss, a first prom (I never went, shy boy), a first shock (about anything), a first crush, a first whatever.

Here's another first for me, with illustration below: 

The first time Louise dragged me off to art class, whining that I hadn't drawn anything since second grade, that I knew I couldn't draw, because that first piece stunk. Second grade. I looked over at gary allred's plane, and it was beautiful. mine couldn't fly except in  a wad of paper to the trash can. I probably threw it into the trash. so i whined all the way. nasal whining. mucousy whining. i can't fd o h this . "oh hush and give it a try. " you'lll love marian. She's great. yeah. i 'll love an 82 year old woman who has been a piainter all her life. she'll laugh.

we rrive in class. marian says, paint that rooster  on the wall. a big gorgeous rooster. a big roobust rooster. i can't paint that. just start she says. my rooster is loooking more and more like a misscarigage. can't spell. dammit. lost train of thought. oh  rooseter. marian comes around. well, that's looking pretty good. i hang on pretty. it's no renoir. and then she says, "I love that coxvcomb. don't change that coxcomb." and I'm hooked. So i'm attaching my first rooster with the wonderful coxcomb.

***

OK. Give your rush write a try. As my dad used to say, "Give 'em hell."

If you didn't try yesterday or don't know what's going on, check the previous blog on rush writing. Are you overcoming inhibitions? Getting some ideas? Write those down so you remember the details. Keep your writing. Nabokov wrote about the "divine details." Good writers, fine writers like you're becoming learn to use more detail.

And here's my first attempt at art since second grade. A year and a half ago. "Don't change that coxcomb." Have fun. Just dive in and have fun. That's what Marian, my art teacher says. Are you having fun yet?

Set your timers. Ready. Go. 5 minutes. 

My first painting, 2012





11 comments:

  1. I remember my first rush write well. Honors English 252, 1993. Louise was the teacher and I was in a class with the woman who two and a half years later would agree to marry me... insane me.

    The topic: write about your Christmas break. It was awful! All I did was catalogue my successes and failures from over the break. Read the book I always wanted to. Spent time dodging annoying family. Cried with my sister while watching Miracle on 34th Street. Didn't practice enough piano.

    Then Louise insisted we read them aloud. I had no idea how bad it was until Dana and Samara read their wittily crafted stories, enhanced with funny images (bugs on the windshield) and unexpected insights on sitting in class. It was a revelation to me. It almost seemed planned... like a set up! Had I been duped? I just didn't understand the creative experience. Something Louise made a part of every class.

    Well, 20+ years later, rush writes still scramble my brain... but at least I know the terrain and inspire of my obvious failings... they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Samara married you in spite of yourself. And, Khoren, your writing was brilliant. But you know that.

      Delete
    2. Samara didn't realize that my post was a five minute rush write. I was running out of time so I didn't have a chance to mention Michael... the other dark-haired skinny boy in our class who also wore glasses and wrote a catalogue for his Christmas rush write. Louise compared us in class. I was horrified.

      Delete
  2. Impressive "first" painting. I like how your rooster seems to be running and how the colors in the tail feathers blend. Even though you obviously have natural talent, the gallery on your website shows you have come a long way in a very short time.

    The time limit for rush writing is helping me want to write again. Using a notebook took away the spelling and punctuation perfectionism, but it takes too long to write out thoughts that way. I'll try using the computer again and will just have to forgive myself for automatic back spaces.

    Maybe the best way to post what we've written could be on individual blogs or other online places with links posted here in your comments. But I can't imagine my perfectionism allowing me to post a rush-writing exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANT to do this. I'm not sure why I let myself get distracted yesterday but I'm going to do it today! Thanks for this great opportunity, push, encouragement, I AM GOING TO DO THIS!! And I like your first painting too, I don't think I could do as well. Maybe I could, it would just be a different kind of "as well!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad idea to start this on Halloween night when I am home alone. I stopped once to answer the door. Not many trick or treaters and I have to get rid of as much candy as I can!! I finished my first "rush writing" though!! Thank you thank you. And I have listened to your music two nights in a row and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes.. More fans out here, Tom, just swamped this week! Feel like a bad student missing homework. Will catch up over the weekend. (Or, the dog ate my rush writing?). Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No guilt. Guilt is not possible here. No grades. Just you.

      Delete
  6. BTW, I have several roosters that i painted, too. Was that at East? Great class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did it again! Loved it! And I'm grateful to hear that a writer like Khoren gets scrambled by rush writings, too. You never know what you're going to find. Thank you, Tom!

    ReplyDelete