Sunday, November 3, 2013

Some Topics for Writing

Rush writing is, for me, a great way to get going. I think it's a habit to cultivate daily or at least regularly. It's a good thing to do when you're suffering from writer's block. And, judging from many comments on this blog, some of you don't have much more than five minutes a day to write. And that's great. Today, I'm going to give you a list of topics you might consider for rush writing, if you're hurting for ideas. I've borrowed or adapted several of them from the book, Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg.
  1. Sit quietly in a room and write about the light, the quality of light, the mood of the light coming through the window. 
  2. Write about your relationship with light. Some people suffer during the darker winter months because of the loss of light. Others are "moles," who are just fine living in darker spaces.
  3. Write lists of small memories. Some writers carry a notebook with them for just such memories. They pop into your head for a moment and are gone. 
  4. One way I generate small memories is to "put" myself back into a situation--eating dinner with the family, who is sitting where at the table, who. Who says what? Who eats how? What are the family dynamics at the table? Friendly? Talkative? Quiet? Sitting in your room--or a space you shared with others.
  5. Draw a map of a place where you have lived. Put in all the details that come to mind. Where the furniture was, which places "belonged" to which people? What were the "traffic" patterns in that place? How did you get from one room to another? When you think of this, do other memories come to mind? 
  6. Begin by writing the words "I remember," and just write all the small memories that come to mind. Memories of long ago, memories of 30 seconds ago, childhood, adult memories. Just keep going for a few minutes until you've exhausted the list. Keep the list handy for future writing. 
  7. Go for a walk. When you come back, write a list of everything you saw. Do this from memory. This is good regular practice, because you start training yourself to look around. I have to get out of the fog of my mind or I just don't see things. 
  8. Choose a color, say red. The go for a walk and notice all the things you see that are red. Write this list when you get home. Any color works, of course. Pink, blue, yellow. 
  9. Write in different places. If you live in a house with a laundry room, try writing in there--possibly with the washing machine or drying going. Write about the rhythms of the washing machine. Try to put that rhythm to paper. What comes to mind as you write? Or other places--a local cafe, a different room in the house, a park. Places change our ways of seeing and what we see. Write those places into your notebook.
  10. Write about yourself as a "morning" person. Are you bright and cheerful in the morning, or dull and distant. We've had two granddaughters live with us in the recent past. One woke up cheerful, we called her Pooh bear. The other was just grumpy and impossible to talk to for a while. We called her Eeyore. 
  11. Write about your day. Or about an hour in your day. Slow it down as you write. Try to capture the details of your time. 
  12. Visualize a place you love. It could be your room, a field, a beach, an old tree. Write about your feelings of being in that place, the smells, the sounds, if you're outdoors, even the bugs. Try to write the details of this place so that someone else reading your piece can feel or visualize the place you have described. 
  13. Write about "leaving" in any sense that comes to mind--leaving for school, leaving for the office, or leaving home for good. 
  14. Write about a breakup in your life. 
  15. Write about the first time you saw someone die. What did you see in that moment, what did you feel, what new things did you realize. 
  16. Write about walking along a particular street where you live. Look for the details along the way--a broken fence, a barking dog, unkempt lawns, a beautiful flower or blossom. Try to be aware of your thoughts as you see these things, your reactions, the memories that they evoke.
  17. Write a list of people you have loved.
  18. Write about a grandparent.
  19. Write about 
  • swimming
  • the stars 
  • the most frightened you've ever been
  • the happiest you've ever been
  • green places
  • peaceful places
  • noisy places
  • how you learned about sex
  • the first time you had sex
  • the closest you ever felt to God
  • reading and books that have changed your life
   20. Write about a favorite teacher
   21. Grab a poetry book. write down a line and then begin your writing from there.
   22. If you were an animal, what do you imagine you'd be?

These are just random ideas, of course. The best ideas will be the ones you pull from your own experience. As you write, keep a file or notebook of things that come to mind, topics for another day when you're back to brain freeze.

8 comments:

  1. I'm always amazed how therapeutic rush writing feels. More tears today.
    I will keep this list handy. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, would you mind terribly dropping me a note sometime and telling me about your background and experience? tom@tomplummer.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than required english classes in school, I haven't ever studied writing. But about seven years ago I started to write a little in a blog. Then I got a bee in my bonnet about writing a book--three different books in fact. I got going with each of them, but then for various reasons never completed any of them. I had been on a dry spell since October last year. Literally just stopped cold turkey and haven't written anything but checks, and a stray message since then.

    But Thursday after reading your blog I decided to rush write because, why not? Then yesterday I wrote 18 pages-just random stream of consciousness ramblings. I'd forgotten just how great writing is for releasing damed up feelings and emotions. I cried most of the day and that was quite useful, actually. I can't afford to turn on the waterworks right now, so I'll do my rush write for today later when it won't matter that I'm a puffy-eyed bullfrog. I haven't picked up writing any of those books again yet, but perhaps these exercises you're "assigning" us will help break the blockage up and I'll actually get through one of them. Thanks teacher! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was always "that" student. The one who wanted to make her teacher happy. So while this isn't an official class, I can't help myself. I have to let you know I've been diligent in completing the assignments! That second rush write felt GOOD. But that mask, monster assignment....didn't even know where to start. Of course I have masks, but none that cover some huge difficult thing that is secret. I've had my fair share of hard things, but nothing secret or intensely personal. And I feel guilty even writing that. Like a big spoiled brat. At first I thought I just wasn't being honest with myself, but I finally concluded I've either really repressed something, or maybe I just haven't lived long enough. It made me feel like maybe I don't have enough depth to be a good writer. Hmmm. Anyways, I'm excited to pick something from all of the above ideas and get to it. I am loving what this is doing for me. Please don't stop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're OK, Angela. Apparently that assignment was too heavy for many. Don't worry about the grade :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I began my Rush Writing this evening. I liked it! It is a vector away from my normal "homey and homily" blog post.

    You, Tom, should switch back and forth your talented "professorial" leanings with your canny life observations. (And your paintings, in-between. I am a keen fan of your art.) Reading you and Louise, I can see why you two have been a fun couple for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, twebsterarmstrong. I have read your comments many times on Louise's blog and enjoyed your wit and insight. However, my favorite was your comment on cremation on my blog while I was subbing for Louise. You wanted your ashes put into fireworks, the star spangled kind. That put me right on the floor. I like your suggestion very much. Thank you. I think I'll put it to work right away.

    ReplyDelete