Monday, March 30, 2015

Which Is the Best Art?

When I was an undergraduate student at the University of Utah, I enrolled in an honors course with the title, "What is art?" I assume that my rationale for enrolling in the course was that it was open to honors students and that it fit into my schedule. Such was my undergraduate brain--and the brain of most undergraduates still today.

The professor was a philosopher, Dr. Charles Monson, who walked into class on the first day, put three pictures in front of the class, which looked something like these three paintings:


He then went around the class of about 12 students and asked each of us which painting we thought was best and why. I am still embarrassed to say that I knew not one smidgen about art, and that I , with the rest of the class, went with picture number one. It looked familiar to me, even if I had no idea who painted it, or in what period, or for what reason.

But when Professor Monson came to the last student, he chose the Picasso. I had not heard of Picasso. The fact that he was still alive is no excuse. I was stunned that this student would choose a painting so "silly" to my young mind. And in response to the professor's question, why he liked that painting, the student said that it was by Picasso, a painting of his model Dora Maar, and that it challenged the way we see. It did not give the viewer a historical  image or a realistic flower. It forced the viewer to stop and look harder.

At least that's the way I remember the student's answer.

I was almost as stupid by the time the class ended as I was when it began, but I have not forgotten Professor Monson's determination to wring an intelligent thought out of me. Thank you, Professor Monson.

5 comments:

  1. I also took an art history style class in college thinking I would be brilliant at it and sadly my grade ended up being as good as my math one which is to say horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the fault may not be yours, Bailie. Sometimes bad teachers give bad grades to pretend that they are hard and therefore good teachers. My art teacher, by contrast, will find something good to say about what I am doing, no matter how terrible it is. Then she gives suggestions--try doing this or that. I never leave art class feeling like a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all about nursing in college but wish I had taken more art courses... The one course I took (as an elective), "Visual Variations in Art", was one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete