Sunday, March 29, 2015

Painting is Re-painting

Writing is re-writing, we tell our writing students, and, I have been learning over and over, that painting is re-painting.

A few days ago I posted a picture, which got a lot of "likes" and comments from you, dear friends. It was a woman, her body painted abstractly, with a white mask and clearly painted facial features.

Not everyone was drawn to it. My conversation with Louise went like this:
Louise: That mask doesn't work.
Tom: Why?
Louise: Because its style is completely different from the rest of the painting.
Tom: But it's a mask. It's supposed to look different.
Louise: It doesn't work. You still have work to do.

I got a similar reaction from Charles. "Well," he said, "you have two different styles working here."

And so here is the re-painted figure. Is it better than the first? Were Louise and Charles right? I leave it up to you, dear reader.


2 comments: