Monday, November 3, 2014

Evelyn from Nebraska

Some of you may vaguely remember, if you happened to be reading my Facebook page, that a woman from Nebraska, named Evelyn, wanted me to do a portrait of her. Last week or was it two weeks ago, she drove with her family to Salt Lake City with the express purpose of doing a photo shoot from which I would extract one or several paintings. Needless to say, I felt the pressure. I didn't know Evelyn, and she didn't know me, but I soon discovered that she was one funny woman. There are more portraits to come, but I thought this one of Evelyn busting a gut, might be a good way to start. I discovered in the course of the shoot that sometimes her smiles had a slightly demonic grin, so I included that in this painting.


7 comments:

  1. I enjoy your work, Tom. Thanks for sharing! How do I get you to paint Candice from Iowa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Candice from Iowa, I love people from Iowa. So that part is a cinch. The next part is that Candice from Iowa has to make her way to Salt Lake City for a photo shoot with me. And that's it. And you'll be famous. And you can never go on the witness protection program, because everyone will know you. See? That was easy, wasn't it?

      Delete
    2. Easy enough. I'll let you know the next time I'm in town. Or the time after next, since the next time I think I will only be in Utah for about 48 hours over Thanksgiving, and most of that will be in Utah Valley. I hope it won't spoil the whole Iowa vibe to say that I grew up in Oregon (to age 13) and Utah (through graduate school, round 1). Three of my five children are legitimate midwesterners. I figure it must have rubbed off on me sometime in the last 17 1/2 years of calling Iowa home.

      Delete
    3. Let me know. Keep me posted. I need a couple of days to get stuff together.

      Delete
  2. CSIowa - Where are you in Iowa? I'm in Iowa City! I grew up in Portland, OR (to age 11) and we did BYU for 18 months, the minimum time required in Mecca to qualify for the Celestial Kingdom. We have moved a lot and plan to die in Iowa because we are too dang tired to move another box anywhere.
    We should meet in Pella and eat an S pastry on behalf of Tom & Louise.
    Message Tom and he has my permission to give you my email. Let's get together and have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom! Nice painting.
    I won't let you paint me until I lose the weight, so it might be a while. Don't wait up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw heather, I can take off pounds and pounds and pounds with a stroke of a brush. Don't let a little thing like weight stop you.

    ReplyDelete