Thursday, November 20, 2014

Evelyn from Nebraska, part 3

Evelyn from Nebraska had so much energy in our photo shoot, that I could spend a long long time just painting her. I can't, of course, and for now the curtain comes down. Evelyn and I, I believe, share one more favorite picture, and I'll come back to that once my pulse slows down. There's an energy that I've discovered in painting, in art, of any kind, I suppose. It's a surge of ideas, a few hours awake before dawn, when I have finally given up on sleep and gone disheveled into my art room, which I dearly love. There's nothing quite like the calm that settles in when I slosh a brush of paint across a new sheet of watercolor paper. It's not high art. It's not for anyone but me. If I accidentally make a few people happy, then I'm thrilled. Why has it taken me so long to discover this? I can't answer that, but I'm grateful for a little time to continue.



3 comments:

  1. How about some photos of your art room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's remarkably sterile, Galen. I'd have to decorate it first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely off topic, but this was the only way I knew to contact you.
    I just read your paper on the Ophelia complex, and though it was brilliant.
    Should be required reading for all teachers and students alike.
    A true piece of timeless wisdom.

    Thank-You
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete