Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dust Off Your Camera


Spring photos part 1: 
 My friend Jacqueline took this picture with her cell phone. It is one of many incredible photos she has taken of her boys, because she's had her phone handy. And she knows a great picture when she sees one. There are so many things right about this picture that I could blather on for a long time. Just three things for now.

Timing
First, of course, is the timing. Jacqueline was ready when that horse opened its mouth, showing its gorgeous teeth, and her son, Tom, who knows horses, had his laughing face right next to the horse.  What's that old cliché about a horse laugh?

Camera angle
Then there's the camera angle. Jacqueline was standing at a perfect angle--more to the right, more to the left, a little higher or a little lower, and the shot would simply not have been as powerful. That camera is at Tom's eye level.

Close up
And third, she is right there, right up close to both Tom and the horse. There's barely room for anything else in the frame. Just Tom and that horse. It's a prize winning photo, and Jacqueline was there. Whammo.

Spring photos part 2: 


I took this picture at a family reunion. It does not compare with Jacqueline's photo, but I want to make a couple of points. 

Shoot children at eye level
First, when you are taking a photo of a child, get down to the child's level. I see people all the time taking photos of their kids, standing up and shooting down. The kids eyes are about three or four or five feet below the level of the camera. Get to eye level. Sit on the ground. Lie on your stomach. Get down. Down down down. I don't care if you're in the Hilton or the Bellagio. If you're up and the child is down, you'll wish you had groveled. I was lucky this time. The mother was holding her babe.

Focus on the eyes
Second, if the eyes are in focus, the picture works. Focus on the eyes.The eyes have it.

Get up close
Third, get up close. Don't stand back 10 or twenty feet. Get close and you'll love the picture.

There are exceptions to every rule, including mine, but it's a good idea to have a strategy in mind.

Happy shooting. 



2 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, and yes. The other thing I like about the horse and boy smile photo is the repetition. You've got echoed shapes of those teeth all over the place. The iron door (which reminds me of an old iron bed frame), the cage bars, the ribbing on his vest. It's not a major element as far as jumping out at you but it works for me as a nice addition to those fabulous faces. Almost like bones lending their integrity to the picture. In your photo, I love the quality of the reflection in her eyes. Sometimes when I photograph faces, I obsess about eye reflections and probably overdo it. This one, I think, manages to catch the shape and light and maintain some mystery. I love the strawberry and peach tones. I love that mother and child's arms meet at the crook of the elbows, almost off frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tom. Makes me blush to get a mention on your blog and lovely comments about that photo. You're one of my all time favorite photographers and artists (and people) - so much so I named my firstborn after you. Yes, about photographing children at eye level - it's just always right.

    ReplyDelete